Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Final Thoughts*

There were several meaningful things that I learned from taking this course that I do believe will change the way I live my life both personally & professionally.
Personally & professionally I have learned the importance of stepping outside of your "comfort zone." Not only is it rejuvinating personally when you take the time to step outside and experience new things, but professionally, as a teacher, it brings the perspective of the students into light. I don't do it often enough and I know I have missed out in several oppertunitues in the past because of this. It's funny because when I show my family the pictures of me doing the ropes course & zip line the first thing everyone said was, "They MADE you do that??" Not one person believed that I would do something like that on my own free will.. it makes me happy, will I be signing up to do another ropes course next week? absolutley not... but I am so happy that I did it! Will I try new things and put myself out there more? Absolutley!
Another aspect of this course that I will be taking to the classroom is the respect I have grown to have for wildlife. I haven't turned myself into a "tree hugger" or anything, but I think twice before I squeesh the gross spider walking by... If a branch is hanging in my face, I will think twice about just breaking it off to give me a better view-- This is something I am going to take into the classroom as well, I want to show my students how to appreciate the wildlife that we do have. I want to bring in more animals for them to see (I had a parent bring in a bird & guinnea pig last school year), I want to grow more plants with them... why not!? The more they are exposed to these things the more they will understand them and in return appreciate them and hopefully some day educate someone else on the importance of preserving wildlife.
From completing our project, I saw how children can really "self" learn about different aspects of wildlife, which will in turn make them better aware of what is out there. If you provide students with the tools (video cameras, editing equipment, books, etc.) they will use them and they will suprise you! From this project I have learned to step back as a teacher, remove some of those added guidelines and let them explore. The ending result will be more than we could ever set up for.
I learned a lot about buying local-- this is something I am very eager to begin doing. There are a lot of farms in my area, but even more where my parents live. I know this isn't exactly "local" for me because I will be traveling 2 hours away, but why not pick up some of the local food when I am visiting my parents house!?
Eating seasonally*... something I do not do, but will be trying my hardest to do from this point on. If I make a concious effect now, it will only get easier later! I understand the importance of it and in the long run, 1 more person doing this can make a huge difference later.
I think all of these things, and many more can make a difference in our lives and begin to save our future. I will pass on all that I have learned to my students and my family in hopes that they pass it down to their families/students, with more people "knowing" we will see changes.

To build upon the things I have already discussed, there is a lot of information and experience that will effect what I do in the classroom. One thing I will do is take the time to take my students outside. There is no reason why I would do a lesson on leaf patterns inside- I will bring them out and have them gather leaves as well as other items to look at the patterns (Josh's project/pattern idea sprung this thought).
Now that I know more about acid rain and how it is/has effected our environment & wildlife, I will talk to my students about it. If they are 5 years old and know what acid rain is & maybe some things that it does to the planent, they will be ahead of the issue and hopefully be able to be a vioce in helping to stop it. There is no reason why anyone should wait until highschool science to learn about things such as this.
Another thing I will do is build up my students confiednce when it comes to trying new things. I think our group was wonderful in helping eachother out and really caring about each other, and beginning on day 1 of our school year, I want to help make an enviting classroom and atmosphere.. instead of being the encourager, I want my students to encourage each other.

I have really learned a lot from this course and am very happy that I had the oppertunity to take it. Thank you everyone :)

1 comment:

  1. Alison,

    I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of the many opportunities last week to challenge yourself. I'm also glad that you see how this is connected to your professional life and the plans to improve your personal sustainability by working on eating seasonally. From what you shared in the course discussions, it sounds like you are already involving your students in meaningful and exciting activities. Please let Karl and I know how your new ideas work with your young students.

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete